Thread: Interference at RC Flying field?

Default Interference at RC Flying field?

after several crashes that were poorly explained, I ordered a Chanalyzer/wi-spy and ran a tracing at my field. I did experience a loss of control and a crash, right when a band of noise appeared. Do you think cell tower, industrial noise? we are near a cell tower, factory, and an airport...
    we ARE flying on 2.4ghz radios.
    JH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	annotated.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	1052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celltower2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1053  
    Last edited by jdplus3; 09-03-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Default cell towers in area

there are 2 towers that cross my position of interest/interference. is LINEAR tower to tower communication a common problem?
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4c...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by jdplus3; 09-03-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Sorry, I can't view what you posted on Google. Please post an image or a Chanalyzer file.

Cellular communications in North America (700 MHz and higher) will not interfere with the 72 MHz band. Most 72 MHz interference comes from other RC users that are nearby. That said, the 72 MHz to 76 MHz range is used for remote control signals for model airplanes and garage door openers, wireless microphones (including those used by law enforcement agencies), and two-way communications inside factories, warehouses, and other industrial facilities. Most channels are spaced at 20 kHz intervals. Range is less than 500 meters and less within a building.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Default thank you.

Thank you, please see updated posting. any thoughts appreciated. We are flying on the newer standard 2.4ghz. these radios use advanced frequency hopping but a broad heavy signal load might interfere?
    Last edited by jdplus3; 09-03-2015 at 04:53 PM.

It looks like congestion from other RC radios. You are in an open field so the chances that the signals are from typical interfering sources such as electric motors, lighting and microwave devices is remote.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Default interference

well, as you can see from the trace, the RC radios have a very specific signature. There are no other KNOWN rc users in the area. but what about those short 30 second to 1 minute bursts of dense signal activity? could a cell tower microwave back haul do that in tower-to-tower communication?