Thread: Can BAF (Big Ass Fan) blades cause mechanical interference on WiFi channels?

Default Can BAF (Big Ass Fan) blades cause mechanical interference on WiFi channels?

Hi,
    Last week I was at a site where they have Big Ass Fan’s installed. Yes, it is the name of the brand.
    It is huge fans approx. 5-6 meters in diameter.

I wonder, can the blades when they rotate in a high speed cause the radio signals to be “chattered” (multipath distortion and changing very rapidly) if the AP is located between the metal blades and the STA?
    I used both Chanalyzer and Eye P.A. to measure if I could find some disturbances, but the only thing I found was a lot of retransmissions (up to 100%), but it turned out to be probe responses while data had about 6% retry rate. I am sure that the retransmissions of probe responses is due to AP’s mounted in the ceiling in a warehouse in a high density layout with low output power.

It looks like the fans did not disrupt the communication but I did not have the opportunity to test while the fans was turned off.

I'm not aware of any WiFi interference from the fan. There is one installed in the fitness center I frequent.
    Please report back if you discover anything of interest.
    Old Mod by the Sea