Thread: Can BAF (Big Ass Fan) blades cause mechanical interference on WiFi channels?

Default Can BAF (Big Ass Fan) blades cause mechanical interference on WiFi channels?

Hi,
    Last week I was at a site where they have Big Ass Fan’s installed. Yes, it is the name of the brand.
    It is huge fans approx. 5-6 meters in diameter.

I wonder, can the blades when they rotate in a high speed cause the radio signals to be “chattered” (multipath distortion and changing very rapidly) if the AP is located between the metal blades and the STA?
    I used both Chanalyzer and Eye P.A. to measure if I could find some disturbances, but the only thing I found was a lot of retransmissions (up to 100%), but it turned out to be probe responses while data had about 6% retry rate. I am sure that the retransmissions of probe responses is due to AP’s mounted in the ceiling in a warehouse in a high density layout with low output power.

It looks like the fans did not disrupt the communication but I did not have the opportunity to test while the fans was turned off.
    -= There is no place as 127.0.0.1 =-

I'm not aware of any WiFi interference from the fan. There is one installed in the fitness center I frequent.
    Please report back if you discover anything of interest.
    Old Mod by the Sea