Thread: Poor WiFi Download

Default Poor WiFi Download

We have a 35 down and 10 upload package from my ISP. Anytime i use wifi, i only get approx 4 down. Using a wire i see 35 down with bursts of 38 down. I have multiple AP's: 1 cisco 1220 and a cisco small business wap4410n. Any wireless device sees only 4-5 down. I have a sonicwall as the firewall/router (i have called them and had them look at the device only for them to tell me it is NOT a sonicwall issue and i can somewhat see what they are saying since any other wired device see 35-38 down). My wiring in the wall is rather old (installed before 5e even existed) but i have connected many wireless devices straight to the switch with 5e and still see the poor throughput. I have changed ethernet cable, changed the wireless and switch ports from auto to 100/full, i have plugged other different wireless devices into the network and had the same results. I have had cisco replace the wap4410n, same issue. Today, i just replaced the 1220 with a unifi AP, same throughput issue. I run inSSIDer 2.x to see the channels and signal. 1 AP is on channel 1 and the other on channel 6. Channel 1 and 6 has 2 other devices running on that channel. The only thing left is interference. I have had this network since 2001 and when i noticed the poor throughput, i upgraded to the DOCSIS 3 and 35/10 package. I have also put a wireless device straight into the modem with an available public ip and still see the same poor throughput. I called my ISP and had them look at it and they tell me it is NOT a ISP/modem issue. I even had them replace the modem with the same results. I am in dire need of some wireless assistance to see where this problems is. can anyone help?

What is the 802.11 standard being used by each device on the wireless network? Without more specific info, I can only provide some guidelines for an 802.11n network configuration.
    • Do not allow connections for old/slow devices.
    • Restrict connections to 802.11n only.
    • Use WPA2/AES security. Older WEP and WPA/TKIP will slow throughput by more than half.
    • Do not use channel bonding.
    • Do not disable WMM. It is enabled by default.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by carnold View Post
    We have a 35 down and 10 upload package from my ISP. Anytime i use wifi, i only get approx 4 down. Using a wire i see 35 down with bursts of 38 down. I have multiple AP's: 1 cisco 1220 and a cisco small business wap4410n. Any wireless device sees only 4-5 down. I have a sonicwall as the firewall/router (i have called them and had them look at the device only for them to tell me it is NOT a sonicwall issue and i can somewhat see what they are saying since any other wired device see 35-38 down). My wiring in the wall is rather old (installed before 5e even existed) but i have connected many wireless devices straight to the switch with 5e and still see the poor throughput. I have changed ethernet cable, changed the wireless and switch ports from auto to 100/full, i have plugged other different wireless devices into the network and had the same results. I have had cisco replace the wap4410n, same issue. Today, i just replaced the 1220 with a unifi AP, same throughput issue. I run inSSIDer 2.x to see the channels and signal. 1 AP is on channel 1 and the other on channel 6. Channel 1 and 6 has 2 other devices running on that channel. The only thing left is interference. I have had this network since 2001 and when i noticed the poor throughput, i upgraded to the DOCSIS 3 and 35/10 package. I have also put a wireless device straight into the modem with an available public ip and still see the same poor throughput. I called my ISP and had them look at it and they tell me it is NOT a ISP/modem issue. I even had them replace the modem with the same results. I am in dire need of some wireless assistance to see where this problems is. can anyone help?
    I know it's been over a year. Did you ever get this resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by carnold View Post
    We have a 35 down and 10 upload package from my ISP. Anytime i use wifi, i only get approx 4 down. Using a wire i see 35 down with bursts of 38 down. I have multiple AP's: 1 cisco 1220 and a cisco small business wap4410n. Any wireless device sees only 4-5 down. I have a sonicwall as the firewall/router (i have called them and had them look at the device only for them to tell me it is NOT a sonicwall issue and i can somewhat see what they are saying since any other wired device see 35-38 down). My wiring in the wall is rather old (installed before 5e even existed) but i have connected many wireless devices straight to the switch with 5e and still see the poor throughput. I have changed ethernet cable, changed the wireless and switch ports from auto to 100/full, i have plugged other different wireless devices into the network and had the same results. I have had cisco replace the wap4410n, same issue. Today, i just replaced the 1220 with a unifi AP, same throughput issue. I run inSSIDer 2.x to see the channels and signal. 1 AP is on channel 1 and the other on channel 6. Channel 1 and 6 has 2 other devices running on that channel. The only thing left is interference. I have had this network since 2001 and when i noticed the poor throughput, i upgraded to the DOCSIS 3 and 35/10 package. I have also put a wireless device straight into the modem with an available public ip and still see the same poor throughput. Kodi I called my ISP and had them look at it and they tell me it is NOT a ISP/modem issue. I even had them replace the modem with the same results. I am in dire need of some wireless assistance to see where this problems is. can anyone help?
    The questions myself too, no experiences?