Thread: Strange neighbor wifi behavior in 2.4Ghz

Angry Strange neighbor wifi behavior in 2.4Ghz

I've been noticing some strange "anomalies" coming from other wireless networks outside of my house. In particular, I will see (in inSSider v 4.2.1.109) networks outside of my house spike to -10dBm and stay there for up to 5 minutes (sometimes less) then completely disappear. This is not a rare occurrence as it happens all throughout the day and night. This is a problem because it is stronger than the signal of my own APs (several different models). I am not boosting my signal with an amp or a passive antenna nor should I have to in my very small house.

The obvious thing is that someone is boosting their own signal with signal booster or high gain antenna. The strange thing however is that I see it with a few different networks. The main culprit is an SSID of HOME-002-2.4 with a MAC address of E0:88:5D:69:B0:C1. This particular one seems to be hanging out on channel 11 Coffer and other databases of known mfgs don't seem to know what this is. Another is HOME-71B7 with a MAC of 58:23:8C:BA:71:B7. This seems to be happening with others as well, some mfg by Arris, some 2Wire, AT&T and Wide Open West. Also, it only seems to be coming from the "set it and forget it" carrier supplied wireless networks rather than the "self configured" Belkin, Lynksys, Netgear, etc. I only say this because any of the SSIDs that seem to be customized (peoples names, swear words, "my network" etc.) don't appear to be acting this way.

I know with enterprise\controller lightweight AP configurations you can configure things like dynamic channel allocation or radio resource management but it seems excessive to burst power to such a level where I'm recording an RSSI of -10 (higher than my own AP). I read some article about Comcast (yes I saw an XfinityWifi do it too) working on some crazy strategy to monopolize the airwaves. Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on? Also, what can I do short of building a damned Faraday around my house or boosting my signal to a not so nice level?

Any help is appreciated!

Addresses E0:88:5D:69:B0:C1 and 58:23:8C:BA:71:B7 are both issued by Technicolor Inc. They own Cisco Connected Devices Division. Most likely they are assigned to devices provided by an ISP. I posit that someone is experimenting with a wi-fi amplifier or custom firmware that can adjust the transmit energy level. A directional antenna can help pinpoint the signal source. There are legal restrictions on the signal strength (energy) at the transmitting antenna. If this is a serious issue, gather evidence and forward it with your complaint to the ConsumerComplaints.FCC.gov.
    Old Mod by the Sea

For what its worth. HOME-71B7 and such are default names for Comcast EMTAs(wireless modems with voip). It's usually accompanied by an 'XfinityWifi' network. They'll appear in pairs; both being emitted from the same device. Google XfinityWifi network for that can of worms.

Sounds too quirky if that many are doing it. Have you tried using another device to monitor the signals for comparison?