Thread: Make Chanalyzer scale on high DPI displays

Default Make Chanalyzer scale on high DPI displays

Chanalyzer is problematic on high DPI displays such as Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
    There is a simple solution. Tell Windows to check for an application manifest file by default.
    Tell Windows that Chanalyzer does not handle scaling.

Open regedit and navigate to the registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SideBySide
    Right-click, select NEW > DWORD (32 bit) Value
    Type PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER.
    Right-click PreferExternalManifest, and then click Modify.
    Enter Value Data 1 and select Decimal.
    Click OK. Exit Registry Editor.

Paste this manifest file - chanalyzer.exe.manifest.txt - into the folder where the Chanalyzer executable resides and delete the .txt.extension.
    Old Mod by the Sea

2. Default

Tell Windows to check for an application manifest file by default.

Quote Originally Posted by vytieubao View Post
    Tell Windows to check for an application manifest file by default.
    That is what I posted!
    Old Mod by the Sea

Hi ua549,

I may need your help with this issue. I have a laptop with a 4K screen using its native resolution of 3840 x 2160. When I generate report the screenshots images are very small. I tried the method above but what I wasn't sure of was I supposed to overwrite the existing .exe with the one I downloaded from this thread or are they supposed to co-exist? Also am I supposed to manually set Windows to check for an application manifest file? I did the needful in the registry so far and copied the file into the existing install path of Chanalyzer being sure its ending in .exe. Any support on this would be great thanks!
    Last edited by nbackus08; 08-27-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Do not replace the exe file! What you downloaded is a text file containing xml statements. Simply remove the .txt from the file. That leaves a file called chanalyzer.exe.manifest that is placed in the same folder as chanalyzer.exe. One caveat, this workaround was broken by the Windows 10 Aniversary Update. If you have installed that update, there is no known workaround for the scaling issue.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Do not replace the exe file! What you downloaded is a text file containing xml statements. Simply remove the .txt from the file. That leaves a file called chanalyzer.exe.manifest that is placed in the same folder as chanalyzer.exe. One caveat, this workaround was broken by the Windows 10 Aniversary Update. If you have installed that update, there is no known workaround for the scaling issue.
    Thanks for the quick reply! I did not replace the .exe file thankfully. I will place the file in the same folder as chanalyzer.exe using the .exe.manifest file extension. I haven't applied any updates lately myself but i'll double check it the Windows 10 anniversary was not applied. Thanks for the help/clarification.

**Update** That fixed it. I deleted the file I originally copied in there, renamed the file extension using the original downloaded file. The issue I did run into was that the file would not be recognized other than a .txt file so I copied the contents out of it and pasted it into notepad, did a "save as" chanalyzer.exe.manifest and choosing "All files". This then remove the stuck .txt format it saw it as. Once I copied it in the proper location and loaded Chanalyzer I instantly saw the difference.**

It does look more grainy or pixelated but I can live with that. Will there be any support in a future version that supports high res natively?
    Last edited by nbackus08; 08-29-2016 at 07:56 PM.

I don't know about future Metageek software releases. I am a volunteer moderator.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Hi,
    anyone from Metageek add anything new about this problem?

Good news! As of 5.8.9, Chanalyzer now supports high-DPI displays. If your MetaCare is up-to-date, Chanalyzer should allow you to update to the latest version to get the high-DPI goodness.

Let us know if you run into any trouble!
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek