Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is link score

Default Where is link score

I just purchased inSSIDer home and i was reading about how to diagnose my network. I read about starring your network, looking at your link score etc
    i cant find any of these features in the software

Michael

Its not making a channel recommendation either

Are you sure you didn't purchase Inssider 4? Inssider for Home in not a current MetaGeek product.
    To view channel recommendations simply click the Physical button (upper left) and then click the radio of interest.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Yes, you are right inSSIDer 4

Thanks for the tip about recommendations!
    Did they do away with link score?

Yes they did.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Why? It was a very useful metric for choosing a network, choosing antenna location/orientation etc

There is a recommended channel that replaces the link score.
    Use signal strength to locate antenna location/orientation.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    There is a recommended channel that replaces the link score.
    Use signal strength to locate antenna location/orientation.
    Well, I wouldn't say that the link score was replaced by the recommended channel, because those both existed side by side previously.
    The link score used an algorithm that considered the signal strength as well as interference, channel sharing, channel overlap which is
    not considered in merely looking at the signal strength for the purposes of choosing a network to connect to.

Interference, channel sharing, channel overlap and signal strength are presented graphically along with a channel recommendation. That recommendation changes as the wifi environment changes. As far as I know link score was never a feature of inSSIDer 4. It is a feature of inSSider Office 4 along with many additional features. Here is a link to the inSSIDer product page that compares product features.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    As far as I know link score was never a feature of inSSIDer 4. It is a feature of inSSider Office 4 along with many additional features. Here is a link to the inSSIDer product page that compares product features.
    Correct, the Link Score is not a feature of inSSIDer 4, but it is a feature in inSSIDer Office 4. It was depreciated, because in our research and testing, we found that the Link Score confused more users than it did help them.

Quote Originally Posted by variousred
    The link score used an algorithm that considered the signal strength as well as interference, channel sharing, channel overlap which is
    not considered in merely looking at the signal strength for the purposes of choosing a network to connect to.
    Correct, it was an aggregate of signal strength, amount of networks sharing the channel, amount of networks overlapping, and all of their signal strengths.
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast