Thread: Wi-Fi Dropouts, Slowness, and high Channel Utilisation Help

Question Wi-Fi Dropouts, Slowness, and high Channel Utilisation Help

Hi,

Some background information for you :-)

Our customer is a high school based in the UK and 90% of their IT usage is via Wi-Fi using a Ruckus ZD1200 (latest FW) and 33 R600 APs. They recently refreshed thier laptops to HP 450 G2's (Intel i3 with Intel cards and Intel i5 with broadcom cards) and since they are having 2 distinct problems.

1 - The Intel i5 laptops are randomly dropping connections, this is an issue as these are used by staff
    2 - This Intel i3 laptops out of a class set of 33 only 25 can connect to an AP, if the rest leave the classroom (joining another AP) they can connect.

Now point 1 I believe is an issue to do with the broadcom cards in the Intel i5 laptops an an issue has been raised with HP for this, we know this to be the case as a newer version of this laptop was purchased which has the Intel card in it and doe NOT drop the connection.

With point 2 if issue has only been reported in 2 areas of the school covering about 4 classrooms in each area, so I decided to do a quick spectrum analysis using both inSSIDr Office and Channelyzer using Wi-Spy DBx and came up with some strange results that I wonder if one of you more experienced guys could have a look at for me?

This school is big on automation so there are PIR sensors in each room ( 2 for alarm and security, 1 for lights, 1 for heating) there is also analog audio systems, projectors and interactive Smartboards which I believe work on IR to sense the interactive pens on the board. Add to this cable tray running right through the middle of each classroom with fire alarm, power, network and much more running in it and all open and visible (nothing is hidden away in the school)

The 2.4Ghz range seems to be saturated while the 5Ghz seems to be OK both also in both cases it looks like the noisefloor has been lifted too.

Let me know what you think, I have attached screenshots and captures.

Regards,

Ozan Pakyuz
    OP Software Ltd.
    https://www.opsoftware.net/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	1076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	1077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	1078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss4.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	1079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss5.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	1080  

Just to add a couple more files :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss6.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	1081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss7.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	1082  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Can you show us all of the networks that you can see?
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek