Thread: Unknow interferer, and how to work around it...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Unknow interferer, and how to work around it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knipsel2.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	1085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knipsel.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	1086I recently picked up a 'weird' interferer on the 2.4 GHZ band, does anybody have a suggestion what it might be, and how to work around it. And, how much trouble is it likely to cause? I mean: can I leave this and still count on a fairly reliable wifi connection, or should I take action to find the culprit?

Please notice the first and last 30 sec of the recording: they're pretty clean. Only the middle part has the interference...

Any help would be appreciated!
    Abbe

Ps: I would love to upload the WSX, but can't see where I can attach other files than pictures or movies...
    Last edited by Abbe Dijkstra; 02-04-2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Attaching WSZ

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Abbe Dijkstra View Post
    I recently picked up a 'weird' interferer on the 2.4 GHZ band, does anybody have a suggestion what it might be?
    That looks a lot like a class 1 Bluetooth device in discovery mode to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbe Dijkstra View Post
    And, how much trouble is it likely to cause? I mean: can I leave this and still count on a fairly reliable wifi connection, or should I take action to find the culprit?
    Finding the culprit could be difficult, since it appears to be a frequency-hopping device. It's pretty easy to track down narrowband interferers, but frequency-hopping devices can be much more challenging.

As far as reliability goes, I think you'll see a fair amount of reliability. The amplitude (height) is pretty low so it is either kinda far away or just not very loud, and the utilization (color) is also pretty low, so it isn't completely swamping the band with activity.

I think you've got three options:

1. Live with it.
    2. Move to 5 GHz.
    3. Try to find it by moving to different areas and looking at the intensity of the color in the waterfall (which shows how loud it is). After awhile, you might be able to move closer to it and find it.