Thread: Trying to make sense of this

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trying to make sense of this

This is my first post to the forum. Just recently started using the Metageek products insider Office and Chanalyzer - great stuff and great guys to work with both on the sales and support side.

I was at my local library the other day and had my laptop with me so decided to fire up insider Office to see what their wireless environment looked like. It was terrible. They broadcast 2 SSID's one called "staff wireless" (which is protected) and another called "library" which is open. From the info inSSIDer showed they are using routers from a company called Senao which I have to say is a new one on me. They must have multiple APs operating on 2.4GHz only since inSSIDer shows 4 active SSID/channel assignments 2 for "staff wireless" and 2 for "library.

Both "staff wireless" APs are set up for 40MHz operation one using channels 1 + 5 the other using 3 + 7. It's not a large space and the signal strengths from where I was sitting (not far from the desk) were -54db and -60db. So they must be creating an awful lot of noise for each other depending on which AP's actually have clients attached to them.

One of the "library AP's was set up for 20 MHz operation using channel 11 with a signal strength of -52db. The other set up for 40MHz operation using channel 9 + 5 at a signal strength of -67db.

What puzzled me (other than why anyone would set things up this way) was that the physical view of things in inSSIDer did not show the "staff wireless" AP running on channels 1 + 5. Just the one on channels 3 + 7. It did show the mac address ending in Fx which implies virtual SSID's are in use. But I thought that would mean both would be using the same channel assignment.

So my questions are:

1. Can you have virtual ID's using different channels in the same AP (is this a Senao feature)? Or am I misunderstanding something (which is more likely).

2. Why does inSSIDer not display both virtual SSID's on the physical view if they are using different channels?

Attaching a couple of screen shots.

Cheers
    Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	library 1.PNG 
Views:	80 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	1090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	library2.PNG 
Views:	105 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	1091

1. I'm not sure what you mean by virtual IDs. Most APs have multiple radios that can have independent SSIDs on any selected channel. I have an old consumer grade 802.11n AP that allows me 4 real SSIDs running on separate channels. The mac addresses are a 16 bit variant of the root mac address.

2. inSSIDer shows the mac address assigned to each physical, not virtual, radio.
    Last edited by ua549; 02-21-2016 at 07:50 AM.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Thanks for the response.

So if assuming the AP had independent radios for multiple SSID's why doesn't inSSIDer show both on the physical view each with it's own unique MAC address?

It does. One needs to separate the concept of a physical box from an AP. The AP is a radio inside the box. The box can contain many APs.
    Looking at the physical view there is an entry for each radio, i.e., mac address. Notice that there are no duplicate mac addresses.
    Looking at the logical view there is an entry for each SSID. There can be many radios with the same SSID.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Yes I totally understand the difference between the physical box and an AP and that there can be a 1:many relationship of such. However, I'm still not seeing the 2 AP's on the logical view that are both using the same SSID "staff wireless" shown on the logical view.

The mac addresses for the 2 radios using the SSID are:

00:02:6F:B7:94:FC
    00:02:6F:B7:94:F8

These show up when looking at the details for SSID "staff wireless" in the logical view.

When I look at the physical view I see one AP using channels 3 + 7 with a mac address of 00:02:6F:B7:94:Fx

There is nothing shown that corresponds to the AP on channels 1 + 5.

That's what I don't get.

Sorry if I'm being thick and missing something obvious.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    It does. One needs to separate the concept of a physical box from an AP. The AP is a radio inside the box. The box can contain many APs.
    Looking at the physical view there is an entry for each radio, i.e., mac address. Notice that there are no duplicate mac addresses.
    Looking at the logical view there is an entry for each SSID. There can be many radios with the same SSID.

I see the issue you are looking at. The "x" as the last character in the mac address display indicates a special circumstance, but I don't remember what. What do you see when you select that entry from the table? Have you looked in the documentation for inSSIDer? I suggest that you submit a support request?

Sorry I couldn't help you.
    Old Mod by the Sea