Thread: Im not sure how to read this

Default Im not sure how to read this

Hi Folks,

I know something about network technology, but I thought I would attach a screenshot of my inSSIDer 4 screen on my Mac and get a reading from you-all. My ID is "erica" for the 2.4 GHz channel and "erica 5GHz" for the 5 GHz channel. The 2.4 GHz channels are quite crowded and seem much more so this year. The 5 GHz channel is quite open, but I seem to see my iPhone connect more readily to the 2.4 GHz channel.

I am using an Airport extreme (which is about 3 ft from my Mac). About 30 ft away I have a Airport express in bridged mode.

What do you-all think of the environment?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.4 GHz screen.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	1101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 GHz screen.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	1102  

I'm not Apple products oriented, but why have both the "extreme" and "express" units with the same SSID in such close proximity?
    If you want the iPhone to connect to the 5 GHz access point I'd recommend that you configure the "extreme" unit's 5 GHz band to offer 802.11ac exclusively using a unique SSID. Then set that SSID as the preferred network in the iPhone.

As far as the 2.4 GHz band, channel 11 appears to be orderly without adjacent channel interference. The unknown is the amount of traffic on channel 11.
    Old Mod by the Sea