Thread: Four 5GHz spikes in US football stadium

Default Four 5GHz spikes in US football stadium

Hi all,

In the course of installing a wireless network in a portion of our football stadium we noticed four distinct spikes in the 5GHz band.

There are two sets of them.

The first set is persistent and I believe it is a cellular DAS on one of the stadium roofs (very odd because they're obviously not supposed to be in band at all).

There are four distinct spikes that are made of a primary and secondary spike. The primary, stronger, spike is ~10MHz wide and the secondary, weaker, spike is ~5MHz wide for 15MHz total.

They are all almost exactly 170MHz apart from one another. The first is around 5180MHz with the second being 5350MHz, the third being 5521MHz, and the fourth being around 5693MHz.

They aren't terribly strong in the seating we are covering and don't seem to have a huge affect on channel util or throughput but it's still something I would like to track down.

I suspect the first set are coming from a DAS on one of the roofs because they are definitely coming from that section and the signal is also strongest on the roof of this area near the DAS. I don't want to get too close to them though so I haven't been able to fully confirm this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5GHzPregame.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1128

The second set is also a set of four spikes that varies their MHz from one event to the next. In this screenshot you can see both sets active at the same time. There's also regular traffic of course but comparing these screenshots I hope you can pick out the spikes in question.

Name:	5GHzGameday.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	1129

As I said the second set is also four spikes but they vary from event to event. The first game of the season they were spaced as in the first screenshot. The second and third games they were spaced as in the second screenshot.

Name:	2ndSetA.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	1130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ndSetB.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	1131

I'll update this thread as I find out just what these are.

Are you sure there isn't a wi-fi DAS running UNI-2 extended frequencies?
    Old Mod by the Sea