Thread: Is so much background noise the new norm? 2.4GHz

Default Is so much background noise the new norm? 2.4GHz

I've been using Chanalyzer for years but lately all I seem to find are what appear to be very noisy backgrounds.
    In the past there'd be much more quiet/darkness between channels and also above channel 13.

Can anyone comment on the noisy backgrounds seen here? (Taken from multiple customer sites, both in rural areas)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	1133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	1134

I believe it is a function of the expanding use of technology. It seems that every piece of equipment is emitting rf energy these days. I've noticed the same thing in my "middle of 2 golf courses" environment. Even in my own house almost everything is operating on the 2.4 GHz band except the upholstered furniture. Perhaps that is coming next.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Thanks for posting! The blue stuff that you are seeing is most likely probe requests from your Wi-Fi adapter on your machine. When you select a shorter timespan (like 30 seconds up to 5 minutes), you typically don't see them since they are so rare. When you select a big timespan like 30 minutes, you're more likely to catch a bunch of those probe requests.

I hope that helps, thanks!
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek