Thread: Extending wireless outdoors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Extending wireless outdoors

Hi there,

I need to extend the WiFi signal from my house to my Mother-in-law's house which is about 50' away from the location I plan to place an omni antenna. I also plan on building a shop on my property at some point in the future which will be about 150 - 200 feet away from the antenna location. Both locations are line of sight. You can see the layout of our property and also the areas I need to have covered on the attached photos.

The cable modem/router/WiFi box I'm using is in an upstairs expandable area and is in an ARRIS TG-862G/CT 802.11N unit and it has no connections other than Ethernet (and WiFi of course)

I've been looking out on the TP-Link site at their products and but I'm not sure what components (other than an antenna) I really need. My thought is to attach a network cable from a router port and run it through the attic (about 70' I suspect) to the southeast corner of the house (orange circle), where I plan to mount the antenna so it is very close to the MIL house and also directly in line with the area the shop will be built. (See 2nd picture) I presume there's some other device that is needed to connect from the Ethernet cable to the antenna since they seem to use a screw in connector.

My questions are:
    - Does this look like the best place to mount the antenna?
    - Which antenna would be recommended for this application?
    - What other components do I need in addition to the antenna itself?
    - What other companies besides TP-Link offer products of this type?
    - Where to find mounting masts that I could attach to the side of the house and extend beyond the soffit to get the antenna out away from the house?
    - Do I need to place another antenna on the MIL house or on the shop when it is built?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
    References:
    http://forums.highdefdigest.com/wire...-outdoors.html

Marketing Campaign Examples

Hi JensenBreck, the images didn't come through. Can you try to repost them?
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Hi Jensen, any luck? I'm trying to get my internet setup at my office in the back garden which is about 50 feet away from the house but there is a tree in the way. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by JensenBreck View Post
    Hi there,

I need to extend the WiFi signal from my house to my Mother-in-law's house which is about 50' away from the location I plan to place an omni antenna. I also plan on building a shop on my property at some point in the future which will be about 150 - 200 feet away from the antenna location. Both locations are line of sight. You can see the layout of our property and also the areas I need to have covered on the attached photos.

The cable modem/router/WiFi box I'm using is in an upstairs expandable area and is in an ARRIS TG-862G/CT 802.11N unit and it has no connections other than Ethernet (and WiFi of course)

I've been looking out on the TP-Link site at their products and but I'm not sure what components (other than an antenna) I really need. My thought is to attach a network cable from a router port and run it through the attic (about 70' I suspect) to the southeast corner of the house (orange circle), where I plan to mount the antenna so it is very close to the MIL house and also directly in line with the area the shop will be built. (See 2nd picture) I presume there's some other device that is needed to connect from the Ethernet cable to the antenna since they seem to use a screw in connector.

My questions are:
    - Does this look like the best place to mount the antenna?
    - Which antenna would be recommended for this application?
    - What other components do I need in addition to the antenna itself?
    - What other companies besides TP-Link offer products of this type?
    - Where to find mounting masts that I could attach to the side of the house and extend beyond the soffit to get the antenna out away from the house?
    - Do I need to place another antenna on the MIL house or on the shop when it is built?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
    References:
    http://forums.highdefdigest.com/wire...-outdoors.html

Marketing Campaign Examples
    You can go for omni directional antennas as it will provide uniform coverage over larger distance. They amplify cell signals from multiple carriers with different cell towers in multiple locations. These antennas are easy for installation too.

When you construct a new building, I don't think there will be any need for the installation of other antennas. But don't forget to install a security system with the help of any residential security company in order to provide extra protection for the building.