Thread: Total Newbie...

Default Total Newbie...

Hello,

Just received my wi-spy today, had it plugged in and did a few captures. It looks like a total disaster, not sure where to even start.

3 captures, 1 where we get few complaints, 2 where we get lots of complaints on dropping/slow connections. They all look bad to me...?

Any clues on where I go next (as I keep reading this forum and try to figure it out). Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

There are some excellent free training materials on the MetaGeek WiFi Training and Education site.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Hey gmcnitt,

Thanks for posting! First, I'd recommend going through these two knowledgebase articles to get a bit more background about the Density and Waterfall views.

How to use the Density View
    How to use the Navigation Waterfall

Here are a few things that I noticed in your recording:

Using the built-in Wi-Fi scanner, I was able to see that all of your AP's are set to 1, 6, and 11. That means that you have no adjacent-channel interference issues, which is very good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.29.06 AM.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	1162

Next, I selected your network group (which I would assume is "Provisioning") and moved over to the Networks Graph to see signal strength over time. You had good signal strength everywhere, typically -50 dBm which is very high. Here's some more information about signal strength.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.31.03 AM.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	1163

Next, I noticed in the spectrum view that we're seeing curve shapes centered on 1, 6, and 11. A curve shape means that we're using an older, slower 802.11b data rate like 1, 2, 5.5, or 11 mbps. These days, seeing a curve shape generally indicates that the network isn't performing well.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.35.45 AM.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	1164

A flat table-top shape indicates that 802.11g rates (6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, or 54 mbps) or 802.11n rates (too many possible rates to list here).

The other thing I see about the curve shapes is the intensity of the color. If you remember from the articles above, red means heavy utilization. Only one device can talk on a channel at a time, and slow rates mean that devices are spending more time on the channel. Here's some more info about how that works.

I think the first thing I'd try here is disabling legacy rates (1, 2, 5.5, 11), as well as legacy 802.11b protection mechanisms. I'm not exactly sure how to do that with Mojo Networks, but as an enterprise-grade vendor, they should support that.

This will break compatibility with 802.11b devices (any users with Palm Treos will probably show up in your office as soon as you disable the legacy rates). It will also shrink your coverage areas slightly. You'll see the same signal strength, but devices in fringe coverage areas won't be able to fall back to legacy rates anymore.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions!
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

That helps a lot.....appreciate the reply. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcnitt View Post
    That helps a lot.....appreciate the reply. Thanks again!
    We're happy to help!
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Joel,

You or someone you know wouldn't be interested in some contract work would you? Going to a facility where we have installed wifi and assisting with dropped connections, low signal etc..?? I just do not have the talent right now and have a few places needing help. Virginia is one such location right now.

Thanks....let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcnitt View Post
    You or someone you know wouldn't be interested in some contract work would you?
    I would recommend looking for a local engineer in your area. Someone with a CWNP certification (CWNA, CWAP, CWSP, CWDP) would be a good indicator as to whether they specialize in wireless. I hope that helps, thanks!
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek